Please find the details of the selected job below, if you wish
to apply, simply press the apply button.
Engine Technology (Phase 1) – Senior Manager (SR014)
Job Title: Engine Technology (Phase 1) – Senior Manager
Job Type: Permanent/Contract (37 hours a week)
Consultant: Alex Townsend
Delta Recruitment is representing a leading automotive engineering firm with a UK team who are capable of engineering complete vehicles and powertrain components. The client’s scope of work is the concept and initial engineering phases of new vehicle and PT programmes and the engineering, development and certification of products.
• Responsible for leading the Powertrain Planning and Phase 1 Technology Projects, the Pre-PG8 activities.
• Ensuring that the business is working on the correct and appropriate technology projects
• Ensuring that technology projects are matured to a concept readiness level prior to their requirement in our architecture programme.
• Ensure that the technology selected achieves the required attributes of our New Engine Families (proof of concept).
• Working with the leadership team in defining the appropriate targets
Defining the specification of our new engines, in order to achieve the product targets, in face of competitor action, legislation and customer demands (PESTLE).
• All PT benchmarking activities
• Ensuring that the PT Portfolio planning team in Anting are fully aware of the Global trends (particularly European) with regards to Powertrain action.
• Understand competitor action and how the relates to our internal plan.
• Understand emerging technologies and appraising their value.
• Compile the emerging technologies of interest into projects and justifying them to the business.
• Identify strategic partners (including Universities and consortiums) and engage with them on the relevant project matter.
• Leverage government funding in order to progress our chosen technology projects.
• Represent the business on external bodies (for example APC, Automotive Council, Innovate UK)
• Understanding sources of information and exploiting their full use whether this is published papers, technical symposiums, trade fairs, supplier presentations etc. for the benefit of the business.
• Actively participating in the deriving of the Product Strategy, instigating studies and making it happen.
• Lead the budget setting process for our technology projects.
• Ensure that the team have the right ‘tools’ to do the job.
• Instigate change, Identify and implement new ways of working.
• Instigate a ‘smarter’ way of testing, use a Design Of Experiments approach to reduce the actual test duration and hence offer the business a cost saving.
• Work to improve the testing efficiency, ensure that we have quality data right first time.
• Keep abreast of the latest technology from a product perspective.
• Understand competitor action, market trends and future legislation.
• Drive the business to become more vehicle attributes led. The vehicle feel should dictate what powertrain is required not the other way round.
• Promote the technology features that offer CO2 improvements without degrading the vehicle attributes.
• Prioritise workload for the section, ensuring the requirements of the GPTDP/ GPADP / GPDP process are achieved and that duplication is avoided.
• Develop skills within the team through coaching, including our Chinese colleagues.
• Determine the priority across projects and ensure that it is conducted in the most efficient manner.
• Ensure that all studies are appropriately documented and stored central with a recognised numbering convention, that allows for rapid data recall.
• Provide Programme Managers / Workstream leaders with status reports and resource support within the budget constraints of their approved programmes.
• Make appropriate use of external consultancies / Universities.
• Assist in raising the appropriate paperwork for the release of funds for any outsource.
• Work within an ISO9001 framework.
• The team are to maintain a presence in China as the programme dictates so time spent in China is part of the job role.
Experience And Skills
Skills and Knowledge Required:
• At least 15 years experience, Petrol or Diesel engines.
• Excellent leadership skills having held a senior position for at least 5 years.
• Experienced in gathering market intelligence and interpreting to define a strategic direction
• An excellent appreciation of the global automotive business with regards to product actions
• Experienced in engaging with external bodies, government agencies and Universities
• Degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or Automotive Engineering.
• Prepared to challenge the ‘status quo’ through an inquisitive nature.
• Attention to detail and good communication skills.
• Ability to plan activities through continually changing priorities whilst recognising the wider business need.
• Supplier interface skills.
• A team player.
• Enthusiastic, self motivated and determined to succeed.
• Full driving licence.
• Flexible and prepared to work overseas as the business needs.
• Design for Six Sigma knowledge or qualification required – full training will be provided by the company.
Salary / Rate
Education / Level